Whether you are a certified gym rat or still new to working out, exercise balls are the ideal addition to your usual routines. They are perfect for improving balance, rehabilitation and physical therapy. Also known as Swiss balls, they are commonly used in relieving back pain, improving coordination, balance and posture and strengthening the core. (1)
However, which is the best Swiss ball brand should you choose?
With the wide array of swiss balls today, it can be a challenging task to choose one. That is why we tried to review the best stability ball for weight training and even for office use, to make such task easier for you.
Before we take a deeper lens into the reviews, let us take a look at the benefits of exercise balls and the key characteristics we looked for in this gym equipment.
Benefits of Sitting On a Swiss Ball
The Swiss ball is a training equipment that is commonly used to help tone the entire body. It is also used as a balance ball to help build stability and balance. When you work out using an unstable ball, your muscles eventually adapts to become more alert, hence stabilizing the body.
Swiss ball exercises offer many ways to challenge both body and mind. The best stability ball can improve brain-body coordination. When you exercise with the ball, your nervous system keeps the muscles more alert to help maintain balance. When more muscles are used, your balance keeps on improving day by day. Below are some of the benefits of using exercise ball.
- Promotes proper spine alignment. Since the ball isn’t stable, your body forces to maintain balance itself on it. Hence, your body try to align itself, achieving proper posture. In this way, exercise ball offers health benefits for your spine.
- Relieves back pain. Long hours of sitting in the office can cause back pain. Using the best stability ball for office helps change your sitting position to achieve proper posture.
- Improves circulation. Using stability ball helps keep the blood circulating to different parts of your body. On one hand, a desk chair may reduce blood flow to certain parts of the body after many hours of use.
- Improve your balance. Sitting on an unstable ball all day can greatly improve your sense of balance, including how fast your muscles react.
- Burn extra calories. Using Swiss ball during will help you burn more calories, and eventually, help you lose weight.
What to Look For When Choosing the Best Exercise Ball Brand For Stability and Balance
There are so many options of Swiss ball both online and offline, so how do you decide which one? We tested different exercise balls in the market and here are the characteristics we looked for:
- Accessories: This is one factor that Swiss ball brands compete with one another is the accessories they offer with the product. Any exercise ball must come with its pump. Some brands offer a hand pump while others feature a foot pump. Because this is a lightweight, strong exercise equipment, many fitness enthusiasts and athletes bring the pump with them to help them in their routines. Aside from the pump, some products come with various perks such as fitness guides, DVDs, advice from coaches and access to online communities.
- Fitness level: Exercise balls vary on fitness levels. Some products are ideal for novice while others other geared for experienced individuals.
- Style: Some brands offer a variety of color options while others are only limited to one or two. If you want to match your exercise ball with your other home equipment or choose a ball that suits your taste, there are an array of options included.
- Storage: Exercise balls come in different sizes. If you have a limited space, it may be best to choose a smaller size or choose one that can easily be deflated and inflated. However, if you always keep on using it, think about the place where it can be safely stored away from pets and small children who may view it as a new fun toy.
2018’s Review the Best Brand of Swiss Ball For Your Needs
|Best Swiss Ball Brand||Black Mountain Exercise Ball||Dynapro Exercise Ball||Duraball Pro Exercise Ball||Theraband Exercise Ball||Gaiam Balance Ball|
|Accessories||Includes foot pump and starter brochure||Equipped with a pump, a plug remover and plug for easy inflation and deflation||none||Comes with two plugs, one inflation adaptor, and a 24 exercise guide poster||Includes easy-inflate air pump, and workout DVD|
|Pros||Comes in multiple colors, durable||Highly durable, 2000 pounds tolerance level||1100 pound burst resistance, durable||Slow deflate feature, Inflation adaptor included||Durable, High quality material, anti-burst feature|
|Cons||Only comes with pump and brochure||No instructions included||Pump not included||Pump sold separately||Requires pumping twice a month|
Dynapro Stability ball is a professional grade equipment that works great for both novices and experienced users. It is made of superior quality PVC material, with anti-burst rating of up to 2000 lbs, in harsh workout conditions.
If you are searching for a high quality Swiss ball, the Black Mountain is rated up to 2000 pound burst resistance, so rest assured it is highly durable. It comes with a ball pump, making it easier to inflate wherever you go. This ball can help in stabilizing your body and improving total body strength. It is also ideal to tone up your abdominal muscles.
This equipment is made from smooth PVC material, with non-sticky surface. In addition, it doesn’t give off a rubbery/vinyl smell that other balls do. Based on this Black Mountain Exercise Ball review, here are the pros and cons:
Available in a wide range of colors, the Fitter First Duraball Pro exercise ball offers a highly heavy duty, durable ball. Its 65cm option is probably the best exercise ball size as it is more portable and compact than the bigger 75cm ball. It received a rating of 1100 pounds resistance, which means it will stay firm even when you’re using heavy weight over the ball. This product is phthalate and latex free.
The Theraband Exercise ball comes in a variety of sizes and colors and the kit includes two plugs, a full color guide poster and an inflation adaptor. This product is also burst resistant and latex-free. One interesting feature of Theraband ball is the patented slow deflation technology, which means that if a sharp object hit the ball, it will deflate slowly and controlled. This ensures no one suffers from discomfort or injury.
The Gaiam Balance Ball offers you a training DVD and an air pump. The DVD that is included is a high quality production that features Tanja Djelevic, a top fitness instruction. The exercise DVD is 105 minutes long, complete with whole body workouts. The company also offers with a replacement guarantee. Gaiam Balls provide you with a fully impact-free exercise routine, ideal for those recovering from injury.
So, What’s The Best Swiss Ball Brand?
Based on our testing, the best Swiss ball brand is the Dynapro Exercise Ball. Despite not having a fitness DVD, it comes with a quality pump and other accessories to easily inflate and deflate. The safe deflate feature is another thing we like about this product as it assures user safety. This product is made from PVC with matte surface so it’s not slippery.
So far, the Dynapro Exercise Ball satisfies all the qualities we looked for – durability, the accessories included and the wide array of size and color options.