Best Yoga Towels Compared & Reviewed For 2018
There’s nothing better than the refreshed, cleansing feeling you get after a steamy, hot yoga class.
Your stressors, worries, and fears seem to melt away and you walk away from class feeling almost euphoric. Don’t let slippery mats, hands, and feet get in the way of experiencing this amazing practice!
A yoga towel can easily prevent slipping in heated classes and will quickly become your best friend if you’re adding heated classes into your regular practice.
With an assortment of colors, styles, brands, and models available on the market, it can be tricky to know where to start when shopping for the best yoga towel.
Quick Answer: Our roundup of the 3 best yoga towels can direct your purchase and ensure that you’re standing strong during heated classes!
- The Yogitoes Towel by Manduka is considered to be the gold standard of yoga towels by many in the yoga community. Although this towel comes with a hefty price tag, the variety of colors, non-slip design, and construction of these towels can hold up to even the most seasoned yogi’s practice.
- The Shandali GoSweat Hot Yoga Towel comes in two size options as well as variety of solid colors. Made from a light, microfiber blend, this towel is great for soaking up moisture during heated classes!
- Youphoria’s Yoga Towel is made from a moisture-wicking microfiber to keep bacteria away during and after your practice. It also comes in a variety of color combinations to match your yoga mat and style!
2018’s Reviews of the Best Yoga Towels
A favorite of yoga studio boutiques alike, the Yogitoes Towel by Manduka has an almost cult-like following in the yoga community. Known for the signature designs and colors that make these towels pop, Yogitoes have come to be known as the industry standard of yoga towels.
Unlike other models on the market, Yogitoes feature patented, silicone dots that allow the towel to stick to your mat from the very beginning of your practice. Other towels require dampening to allow the towel to stick, and Yogitoes’ unique design avoids this step altogether!
Yogitoes are designed to stand out in class, and come in a rainbow of solid colors and unique designs. These designs also change seasonally, and the Summer 2017 line includes graphics depicting elephants, chakra colors, ocean and sky scenes, tribal patterns, and tie-dye!
New yogis may experience a little sticker shock when shopping for Yogitoes as these yogi towels typically cost anywhere from $50.00 to $90.00. If this sounds like a hefty investment, don’t worry! Yogitoes are built to last and many reviewers noted that they have had the same towel for 5-10 years!
Yogitoes are also intended to be washed in your washing machine and dryer along with your other yoga gear and are made from a hygienic, soft fabric to deter bacteria during your practice.
Made from a thin, microfiber material, the Shandali GoSweat Hot Yoga Towel is a good option for yogis that want the benefits of a towel without a large price point.
Ranging anywhere from $19.00 to $25.00, these towels may be a good fit for you if you want to protect your mat from moisture during a heated class and have the price flexibility to purchase more than one towel. They also come in a variety of colors!
Unlike other towels we’ve reviewed, Shandali’s model does not have any grips to stay put on your mat. Instead, Shandali advises that you dampen your mat before laying the towel down to create a tight bond.
For yogis that only practice hot yoga on occasion, the Shandali towel may be enough to get you through a heated class. However, if you practice hot yoga regularly and are looking for a mat that will prevent slipping, then the Shandali model may not be the right towel for you.
Many reviewers noted the same, stating that the Shandali towel is a good bargain, but has a tendency to slip during use.
Designed to be used in extra hot, Bikram-style classes, the Youphoria Yoga Towel is a good option for yogis looking to stay put on their mats without spending a pretty penny. Costing between $19.00 and $25.00, the Youphoria yoga towel allows you to pick up a few towels so you always have a clean one on hand!
This towel also comes in an assortment of fun colors and is made from an anti-bacterial, microfiber fabric to resist odors. Most reviewers note that the towel is most effective when wet, but continuously state that the towel holds up to its no-slip guarantee when dampened before class!
Why Purchase a Yoga Towel?
Heated yoga classes mean one thing: sweat!
By dialing up the temperature, our muscles loosen up and difficult poses suddenly seem more approachable. The down-side to this amazing practice is that with sweat comes slipping, especially if you’re using a mat that was not intended to be used in a heated class.
- A towel can help your grip and keep you stable during the most popular poses in a heated yoga class, including downward-facing dog and other inversions.
- Towels also protect your mat from sweat buildup and bacteria during heated classes as they absorb moisture and can quickly be popped into the wash between uses.
- They are also great during reclined poses or when you’re practicing on your stomach or back, as they quickly soak up any sweat and keep you feeling cool and dry!
Since most towels on the market come in fun colors and patterns, they are also a great way to change up the style of your practice without purchasing a new mat each time your favorite color changes!
This may be particularly important for yogis that own high-end mats and who want the flexibility to adapt the color of practice space while using the same mat during each class!
What to Consider When Shopping for the Best Yoga Towel
- Grip: At the end of the day, the primary function of a towel is to reduce slipping during heated classes. If you feel like you are ice skating on your mat from all of the slipping and sliding, then your towel is only hurting, not helping, your practice! Look for models that reduce slipping and keep your hands and feet planted on your mat.
- The use of water to dampen your towel: Most towels on the market require you to dampen your mat before laying down the towel for it to adhere properly. This can easily be done by spraying water on your mat when you get to class, so don’t fret too much about this added step- it’s very common in the yoga community! That being said, be realistic about where you practice: do you practice yoga outside? Are you away from the studio or your home a lot? If so, then you may not have access to a spray bottle on a regular basis to dampen your towel before use and may want to consider a model with built-in grips instead!
- Color and style: Yoga is all about exploring and accepting your individuality! Choose a towel that complements or even changes up your mat, so you feel confident before, during, and after your practice!
How To Use Properly Use A Yoga Towel
In this review, the Yogitoes Yoga Towel by Manduka is our top choice as the best yoga towel. As yoga bloggers, publications, and studios alike have found, Yogitoes are unique in that they adhere to your mat instantly without the use of water. This means that you can take your heated practice outside the studio and can rest assured that you’ll stay slip-free without trying to find a spray bottle!
We also love the fun colors and patterns that Yogitoes come in, and like that these styles are changed seasonally. Although Yogitoes are a tad pricier than other brands on the market, the durability and great construction have shown to be a solid, long-term investment for new and experienced yogis!