Top 5 Best Type of Socks for Running
If you are into running, you may obsess about shoes and simply ignore other vital gear for your feet. You need to take good care of your feet because how much wear and tear they absorb and how they feel can easily make or break the quality of your running performance.
Professional runners use special type of sock because their feet experience distinct conditions. Whether it is arch strain, sweaty feet or uncomfortable pressure points, the best type of socks for running offer solutions for these specific problems.
Benefits of Using the Best Type of Socks for Running
The socks you wear can make a huge difference between a comfortable run and sore feet. Having a combination of good shoes and socks can make your performance smoother and pain-free! After all, having great shoes would be totally impractical if the socks are causing problems instead of helping the feet.
There are a number of reasons to consider using the best type of socks for running:
- Blisters. Runners usually experience getting foot blisters. They are frequent occurrences during running – only if your feet are not secured by anti blister running socks. Moisture, heat and friction are the three ingredients why blisters develop. It can be avoided by using a sock that allow breathing or air flow to release heat. The sock should also have wicking technology to keep the feet dry. Extra paddings or cushions reduce friction.
- Smelly or sweaty feet. This embarrassment can be prevented by using running socks that have anti-bacterial technology and have moisture wicking feature.
- Leg Muscle Injuries. During running, the leg muscles are predisposed to fatigue and injuries during strong impact. This can be prevented by using running socks with targeted compression. The cushions or paddings can help reduce the force of impact on the feet.
What to Look When Choosing the Best Type of Socks for Running
Modern technology has invested so much on running gear and the socks department have experienced marked improvement in the manner they are designed and developed. This guide will help you save time and maybe a couple of bucks when making a decision on what to buy.
We tested some of the most popular and highly-rated running socks on the market to determine which one is the best. Here are the qualities we looked for:
- Material. The ideal running socks don’t get wet and don’t stay wet. This is the reason why 100% cotton socks are not the ideal choice when searching for running socks, because they can make the feet cold in winter and cause blisters in summer. Acrylic and polyester running socks are the most popular materials because they wick away moisture. Choose socks that offer excellent breathability.
- Usage. This depends on the duration of your runs. You can choose from various styles and specialized materials. The odor factor plays a vital role. Be sure to choose a sock with antibacterial/anti-odor technology if you need to use your running socks for long hours.
- Other important features
- Anti-blister technology. Blisters can be extremely painful. If you are prone to blisters, better choose socks with two-layer system to prevent blister formation.
- Padding. Padded socks can protect your feet from the impacts of run.
- Ankle support. These socks offer extra ankle support by making the elastic material on the ankle area thicker.
- Arch support. Same technology with ankle support.
- Achilles heel padding. This feature reduces friction that causes blisters and chafing in the area.
- Individual toes. Many athletes claim that toe socks can enhance performance by giving them better ranger of motion. It also protects each toe from heat and moisture.
- Ventilating mesh. Adding mesh uppers provide better airflow for the feet.
- Dedicated footed socks. This type of socks certainly offer an optimum feet.
|Best Type of Socks for Running||Drymax Run Hyper Thin Socks||Balega Hidden Comfort Athletic No Show Running Socks||ASICS Kayano Classic Quarter Socks||Tesla Men’s Athletic No Show Socks Cushioned Comfort with Mesh||Saucony Performance No-Show Socks|
|Material||73% olefin,11% polyester,11% nylon,5% elastane||Drynamix Polyester 84%, Polyamide Nylon 14%, Elastaine 2%||52% nylon, 37% micronylon, 9% nanoglide nylon, 2% lycra elastane||65% Polyester/20% Cotton/13% Poly Span/2% Rubber||95% Polyester, 3% Rubber, 2% Spandex|
|Extra Features||Dual Layer Moisture Removal System;|
Active Odor Control
|DryNamix moisture management technology;|
|Soft sole cushioning;|
|Venting Breathe Mesh;|
Extra cushioning in the heel and toe
|Pros||Excellent wicking ability, durable||Optimum airflow, Warm, Extremely comfortable||Excellent cushioning, Nice fit, Sweat wicking||Lightweight and breathable; Don’t roll down, perfect fit||Excellent cushioning, durable, Air mesh venting keeps it nice and cool|
|Cons||Some users may find it too thin||May not be ideal for trail running||Only comes in limited colors||Some people encountered issues with sizing||Not sold in single pair|
2017’s Review of the Best Type of Socks for Running
To be precise, this running sock is incredibly thin. Called as ‘the lightest running socks in the world’, the large size only weights a mere 10 grams. Despite its thinness, it is still a worthwhile anti-fungal gear to keep you dry from sweaty feet.
As one of the best athletic socks, the Hyper Thin is made with an anti-slip feature to ensure your shoe suck them in. The pair also has a breathable mesh, an anti-blister system and a left-right anatomic fit. Material is mostly olefin. If you’re running in a warm environment that require maximum moisture wickage, the Hyper Thins can be your best partner.
If you are annoyed by running socks with itchy fabrics or socks that roll down, you will surely feel more comfortable wearing this one. The Balega Hidden Comfort Running Socks is among the least annoying running socks ever made. It’s not too thin or thick and it’s made from aerating polyester blend and soft elastane so it is comfortable to wear and very stretchy.
ASICS is a respected name in the fitness apparel. One of the best type of socks for running, this comes with built-in arch support, venting mesh side panels and anatomical left and right socks. The special NanoGLIDE knitting in the heel and toe areas offers a smooth contact or friction and promote air flow.
It is made of durable nylon, spandex and polyester, making it a durable product.
If you’re looking for a pair of low cut socks but still perfect for running, the Tesla No-Show sock is among the best option to consider. It comes in many colourful choices so you can still be fashionable while feeling comfortable at the same time.
The socks have special venting mesh for maximum airflow. It also has extra cushioning at the toe and heels for added protection during laps. These socks is highly supportive and a bit thicker than the other socks listed here.
Saucony developed a pair of socks that do exactly what it needs to do – keep your dry, comfortable and protected. Coming in a pack of 6, Saucony performance socks are definitely a steal for the price. The breathable air mesh, sweat wicking ability and arch cushioning makes the Saucony no-show socks very comfortable. It is also very durable.
It comes in different colors, making it youthful and lively.
Based on our testing, the best type of socks for running is the ASICS Kayano Classic Quarter Sock. This is the perfect pair to prevent blisters because it has excellent breathability and optimum wicking ability.
This running sock is not too thin or too thick and placing your feet inside this sock is like putting your feet inside a pillow – very soft. The sock is really comfy, thanks to its elastaine material.
So far, it satisfies all the qualities we looked for – material and other significant features for moisture management, cushioning, comfort and reliability.